Monday, December 15, 2014

DIY Christmas Card Holder

Hey there!!  Hope you all had an excellent weekend and your week got off to a good start.  Our weekend was fairly relaxing and actually able to get a few little projects completed, while the girls enjoyed playing outside.  One of the projects was making a Christmas card holder, which was definitely a must since the cards are starting to arrive.  I must say, I love checking the mail around this time of year and seeing the cards and pictures from our family and friends.

I wanted to make a Christmas card holder that was simple, easy, and didn't require a lot of effort, but I wanted it to look cute of course!  In the garage, we had a scrap piece of maple plywood from the office cabinets (which are still in progress by the way) that was slightly under three feet tall.  I knew I wanted to paint it with chalkboard paint, my new obsession, and also use the leftover small clothespins I had from the Advent calendar.  This was a slightly spur of the moment decision to make this so unfortunately I have no before/progress pictures (totally bad on my part for that one)!


To create the Christmas card holder, I took the piece of scrap wood (12 1/2" x 29 1/2") and put three coats of chalkboard paint on it.  I did this at night and the next morning, I seasoned the chalkboard with a light coat of chalk.  I wiped off the excess so it wasn't so dusty and white (I did this outside).  I placed the 8" boxwood wreath I purchased on Amazon in the center of the board, it came in a set of 6", 8", and 10".   To hang the wreath I used a command strip and hook on the back.


To write Joy on the chalkboard, I found a font I liked on Pinterest and used the transfer method to trace it on and then write over it with a chalk marker.  To add a little more festive cheer to the board, I spray painted the clothespins white first and then added some washi tape to the front, just like I did for the Advent calendar.


I really love how it turned out and love having something festive to display our Christmas cards on!!




How do you guys display your Christmas cards? I would love to see!!

Don't forget to check back later this week, I am sharing another project I completed this weekend and it involves glitter!!!

With much love,

Kristin


Follow on Bloglovin

Linking up with:
Place Of My Taste
Dwell Beautiful
Tatertots & Jello

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! All comments are moderated and might take a moment to appear.